Welcome to Ravenswood Manor

Harmon Model Homes Tour

William E. Harmon & Co. Model Homes

Ravenswood Manor Centennial Tour

Wm. E. Harmon & Co. began to sell house lots for their “Ravenswood Manor” subdivision in the spring of 1909. The 40-acre community was served by a new ground-level “L” and station at Francisco, along the recently extended Ravenswood transit line.

Harmon built a real estate sales office a half-block south of the station near where today’s Manor Park pergola stands. House lots were priced at between $690 and $990, depending on their size and location. To spur sales, Harmon constructed a group of model homes, mostly located within a block of the sales office along Eastwood, Francisco, and Wilson streets. Those 15 model homes make up this tour. Enjoy.

Helpful hints: This scrolling stroll through Ravenswood Manor houses also provides lots of information about the former inhabitants drawn from census records and directories. The drawings are from the Harmon Co. advertising, specifically the July 18, 1909 edition of the Chicago Daily Tribune. Each image is clickable to see a larger version. Note that the route map is included at the bottom of the page and the order and numbers reflect the walking route. This tour is also available as a PDF download to make is easy to walk with your tablet or print out [Harmon Model Homes Tour PDF 1.3mb].
PDFbuttonc1

Scroll Through the Tour Below:

1. 2851 W. Eastwood/4627 N. Francisco
(Former site of Wm. E. Harmon Co. Real Estate Office)

Built 1909; architect/builder unknown; demolished 1957.
1928-29 directory: Ravenswood Manor-Gardens Park District

Left: developer William E. Harmon
Right: c.1937 photo, looking northwest from Manor Avenue

2. 2807 W. Wilson (Thom House)

June 1909 building permit; Wm. H. Harley Jr., arch.; John Stut, bldr.; American Four Square style; brick exterior

1910 census: John H. (47) and Margaret M. (50) Thom; dau Hazel A. (22) and Edna E. (19); son John J. (21). John is a civil engineer.

1920 census: John H. (57) and Margaret M. (60) Thom; son John J. (31); dau Hazel (32) and Edna (29); Edna’s husband Michael McGuire (57); dau Catherine (13), son John (11). John H. is engineer with Ill. Tunnel.

1928-29 directory: J. H. and Margaret Thom; M. J. and Edna McGuire

1930 census: Margaret (74) Thom; son John (42), dau Hazel (40) and Edna (39); Edna’s husband Michael McGuire (61) and son Jack (13) and Harry (11); dau Margaret (9) and Lucille (7). No occupations listed. ($12,000 house value)

1940 census: Michael (72) and Edna (49) McGuire; son Michael Jr. (21), his wife Eileen (18), and son Michael J. (5 mos); son Harry (19); dau Margaret (17) and Catherine (14). Michael Sr. is a public school engineer. ($25/mo rent)

1957 directory (2805): W. J. Fregin

3. 2767 W. Wilson (Quane House)

March 1910 building permit; Bostrom & Olson, bldr.; American Four Square/Queen Anne style; stucco exterior. Left photo: Fall 2013; right photo: Spring 2014.

1910 census: No one shown residing at this location

1920 census: Daniel F. (48) and Elizabeth (48) Guane (sp); son David (28); dau Mary E. (9). Daniel is a foreman at Chicago Alton RR.

1928-29 directory: Daniel and Elizabeth Quane

1930 census: Daniel F. (58) and Elizabeth (57) Iuane (sp); dau Mary (19). Daniel supervisor for steam railroad. ($12,000 house value)

1940 census: Daniel (68) and Elizabeth (68) Guane (sp); dau Mary (29); grandson Arthur J. (20). Daniel a yard clerk with steam railroad; Arthur a jewelry store salesman. ($6,000 house value)

1957 directory: D. F. Quane

4. 2731 W. Windsor (DuRocher House)

May 1911 permit; David Mahaffey, arch.; Nelson & Lewin, bldr.; Bungalow style; stucco exterior

1910 census: Vacant lot

1920 census: Louis (35) and Laura (35) DuRocher; Louis a lawyer.

1928-29 directory: L. R. and Laura DuRocher

1930 census: Louis J. (40) and Laura (40) DuRocher; Louis a lawyer, Laura a high school teacher. ($15,000 house value)

1940 census: Louis (48) and Laura (48) DuRocher; Louis is a lawyer, Laura is a public schoolteacher.

1957 and 1966 directories: Laura M. Lynne

5. 4507 N. Mozart (Pietsch House)

Dec. 1909 building permit; David Mahaffey, arch.; Nelson & Lewin, bldr.; American Four Square style; stucco exterior

1910 census: No one shown residing at this location.

1920 census: Fredrick C. (51) and Alice D. (42) Pietsch (b.Germany). Fredrick is a cashier with a wholesaler.

1928-29 directory: F. C. and Alice Pietsch

1930 census: Chester (41) and Anna (41) Phillipps; dau Rita (17), Janet (11), Shirly Mae (3); sons Chester (15) and Howard (13). Chester is a machinery broker. $90/mo rent.

1940 census: William (47) and Marion (43) Carroll; sons Richard (13), Harry (11), Thomas (9), Joseph (7), Gerald (5); niece Rita Ann (19) Smith. William is a salesman with lumber mill; Rita Ann is a receptionist in doctor’s office.

1966 directory: C. Ziolkowski

6. 4452 N. Francisco (Gorton House)

June 1909 permit; Nelson & Lewin, bldr.; Queen Anne style; shingle/stucco exterior

1910 census: Weaver G. (29) and Pearl H. (32) Gorton; Effie Gorton (28; sister). Weaver is a printer; Pearl is a schoolteacher.

1920 census: Weaver (39) and Pearl (42) Gorton; dau Pauline (16) and Marion (8); Pearl’s father D. L. Hawks (71). Same occupations.

1928-29 directory: W. G. and Pearl H. Gorton

1930 Census (4448): Weaver (50) and Pearl (52), Marion Hurless (19), tenant. $110/mo.

1940 census: W.G. (60) and Pearl H. (61) Gorton; dau Marion P. and husband Owen K. Eddy (both 28) and their dau Marin Lee (8)

1957 directory: J. M. Kenny

1966 directory: T. P. Walsh (owner of Bulk-O service station, northwest corner of Mozart and Montrose-JB)

7. 4443 N. Francisco (Mosher-Noelle House)

June 1909 building permit; Bostrom & Olson, bldr.; American Four Square style; stucco exterior

1910 census: Wallace C. (29) and Margaret J. (29) Mosher; son Claude R. (1). Wallace works as a printer.

1920 census: John Noelle (57; widower); sons William J. (27) and John C. Jr. (19); dau Luella J. (24) and Charlotte E. (22); brother Louis J. (42). John works as a butcher.

1928-29 directory: J. C. Nolle (sp)

1930 census: John C. (68) Noelle; dau Luella J. (34); dau Charlotte (32) and husband Frank (35) Simpson. No occupations listed. $12,000 value.

1940 census: Thomas (30) and Hazel (30) Morrill; dau Dorothy M. (6); son Charles (4). Thomas is a secretary with insurance reporter.

1957 and 1966 directories: R. J. Savage

8. 4524 N. Francisco (Ennes-Mehnert House)

June 1909 building permit; Bostrom & Olson, bldr.; American Four Square style; frame exterior

1910 census: Charles E. (43) and Annette C. (39) Ennes; sons Earl R. (17) and Edward R. (16); dau Mary J. (9) and Annette C. (2). Charles, a mechanical engineer, was a founder of the Ravenswood Manor-Gardens Civic Organization and Ravenswood Manor-Gardens Park District (name also spelled Ennis and Ermes).

1920 census: Charles (51) and Annette (48) Ennes; sons Clarence (30) and Edward (20); daughter Mary (19) and Annette (11); mother Marry C. (71). Edward is a pharmaceutical engineer.

1928-29 directory: Leander P. and Emily Mehnert; P. H. and Frieda Mehnert

1930 census: Paul Mehnert (59)

1940 census: Paul (69; b.Germany) and Frieda (62) Mehnert; son Leander (40) and his dau Grace (16) and son Roger (13). Leander a printer. $4,000 house value.

1957 and 1966 directories: L. P. Mehnert

9. 4535 N. Francisco (Mohn-Gertz House)

June 1909 building permit; Bostrom & Olson, bldr.; Gable style; frame exterior

1910 census: Frieda Mohn, a public school teacher.

1920 census: Louis (45; b.Germany) and Olla (45) Hildebrant; dau Hulda (18) and Josephine (17); boarder James Brock (35). Louis works as a storekeeper; Olla also works in the store.

1928-29 directory: F. K. and Josephie Gertz

1930 census: Frank (62) and Josephine (61; b.Ireland) Gerty (sp); dau Helen (29), son Alvin (27). Frank a school property inspector; Helen a home economics teacher; Alvin a surgeon. $18,000 house value.

1940 census: Josephine (68) Gertz; dau Eileen (42), schoolteacher.

1966 directory: J. R. Wade

* 4521 N. Richmond (Van Pelt House)

Dec. 1909 permit; David Mahaffey, arch.; Nelson & Lewin, bldr.; Colonial Revival style

1910 census: No one shown residing at this location.

1920 census: Dale (47) and Winnie (48) Van Pelt; dau Mary (15) and Elizabeth A. (6); Dale’s father George W. (76); Winnie’s mother Drula Wieritt  (76). Dale, a commercial artist at Illustrator Ad Co. , is a founder of the RM-G Civic Organization.

1928-29 directory: Mrs. Elizabeth Becker

1930 census: Elizabeth Becker (57; b.Germany); son Ferdinand (32), a roofer. $75/mo rent.

1966 directory: D. F. Wyatt

10. 2848 W. Wilson (See-Peterson House)

June 1909 building permit; Nelson & Lewin, bldr.; Prairie style; brick/stucco exterior

1910 census: Edwin S. (28) and Eleanor (26) See; dau Eleanor (4); Eleanor’s mother Johanna Mielke. Edwin works as a grain dealer at the Chicago Board of Trade.

1920 census: Joseph (34) and Irene (32) Heimiann; daughter Jeane (2); father-in-law John (60) and Mary J. (59) Reining; nurse Mary Storck (27). Joseph works as a stockbroker; John is a barber.

1928-29 directory: George and Elsie Peterson

1930 census: George (78; b.Denmark) and Elsie (65) Peterson; son Harold (38) and wife Clara (35). $24k value. Furniture maker.

1940 census: Elsie (74; b.Denmark) Peterson; son Harold (48) and wife Clara (48) Peterson. Harold is a loan finance manager.

1957 and 1966 directories: L. H. Minifie

11. 2907 W. Wilson (Wilcox-Garland House)

June 1909 building permit; Nelson & Lewin, bldr.; Craftsman style; stucco exterior

1910 census: No one shown residing at this location.

1920 census: John C. (44) and Frances (38) Wilcox; sons John C. (13) and Clarence (11); Frances’ mother Laura Powers (63). John works in the legal department of Lumberman Co.

1928-29 directory: S. A. and Mae Garland

1930 census: Stewart (51) and Mae (41) Garland; sons Jerome (23), Harry (20), Raymond (19), and Sherman (18); Alberta Norrgaard (35; b.Russia). Stewart a wholesale furniture salesman. $15,000 house value.

1940 census: Mae O. (52) Gerland (sp); son Sherman A. Pearlstein? (28). Mae a comp matron with private company; Sherman a lawyer. $5,000 house value.

1957 directory: M. B. Kramer

1966 directory: F. R. Wurtz

12. 2936 W. Leland (Smith House)

Sept. 1909 building permit; Wm. H. Harley Jr., architect; John Stut, builder; American Four-Square style; brick exterior

1910 census: No one shown residing at this location.

1920 census: Charles (49) and Anna T. (48) Smith; son Arthur F. (8). No occupations listed.

1928-29 directory: E. W. and Edna Smith

1930 census: Cornelius (44; b.Holland) and Edna M. (36) Schoper; dau Anna M. (14); sons Charles (12) and Cornelius Jr. (7); Edna’s mother Anna T. Smith (59). $55/mo. Dredge tug pilot.

1940 census: John Chicoin (31); brother Walter (27), sister Irene (26), mother Kathleen (54), sister Valerie Koepke (28), nephews John (7) and Kenneth (3) Koepke.  John a real estate office mgr. Walter a materials salesman; Irene is a secretary with insurance company.

1957 and 1966 directories: F. A. Beyer

13. 4721 N. Sacramento (Metzdorf House)

Sept. 1909 building permit; Wm. H. Harley, Jr., arch.; John Stut, bldr.; American Four Square style; brick exterior

1910 census: Johanna Metzdorf (age 60; b.Germany); son George B. (26), daughter Effie T; brother John C. Ries (58); nephews George N. (18) and Peter J. (14) Ries. No occupations listed.

1920 census: H. William (41; b.Russia) and Martha (35) Cisensta; son Frederick W. (4). Wholesaler.

1928-29 directory: Mrs. May C. Miracle

1930 census: Roscoe (42) and Gladys/Alice (36) Dooley; son William (5), dau Frances (1). $80/mo. Accountant with office supply co.

1940 census: Walter (37) and Bertha (37) Loewy; parents Eugene (71) and Rosa (66) Loewy. Walter works as a chemist.

1957 directory: Allied Valve Renewal Co.

1966 directory: R. L. Winkle

14. 2943 W. Eastwood (Drazy House)

Sept. 1909 building permit; Wm. H. Harley, Jr., arch.; John Stut, bldr.; American Four Square style; brick exterior

1910 census: No one shown residing at this location.

1920 census: Gephas (42) and Jessie (34) Drazy; daughter Mary Flovia (1); mother-in-law Mary Bochtler (58). Gephas is an accountant with the Illinois Central Railroad.

1928-29 directory: W. F. and Maude Yagle (sp)

1930 census: William F. (51) and Maud (52) Kagle (sp); dau Alice-May (19). Wire chief with telephone company.

1940 census: Lloyd K. (62) and Lydia (64) Jones; Lloyd is a freelance artist in advertising.

1957 directory: S. Gavzer, business.

1966 directory: B. H. Gavzer; Gavzer carpet and furniture cleaners

15. 2907 W. Eastwood (Stockton-Nurrie House)

March 1909 building permit; Nelson & Lewin, bldr.; American Four Square style; stucco exterior

1910 census: John P. (28) and Sinda (27) Stockton; dau Frances (5), son John (3); servant Mary Mauser.  John works as a manufacturer.

1920 census: Florence Marie Nurris (sp) (51) is a milliner at Carson Pirie Scott; sisters Josie (49) and Agnes (38); brother John (54).

1928-29 directory: Mayme Nurre

1930 census: Mayme Nurne (sp) (61); sisters Josie (59) and Agnes (48); niece Mary L. Hanle (25). $20k value. Sisters work as milliner at dry goods and telephone supervisor; niece works at beauty shop.

1940 census: Agnes Nurrie (68); nephew John (37) and wife Claire (33) Hanley; their son Joseph (12). Agnes is chief engineer clerk with City of Chicago; John is a telephone engineer.

1957 and 1966 directories: P. E. Hill

Appendix

Source of building permits: Ravenswood Manor National Register Historic District nomination form.

Additional research: Athene Carras, Jackie Klein, and Jim Peters; RMIA Centennial Research/Tour Committee (2014).

Building sketches: Ravenswood Manor real estate sales brochure (Chicago Tribune, April 1910)

General notes: The 1910 census showed 15 households and 60 residents in the neighborhood….Vacant lots originally sold for $690 to $990….The minimum required construction costs were: $2,500-3,000; $3,500 on Wilson; and $4,000 for brick two-flats (which only were permitted on Agatite, California, Manor, and Sunnyside)

Other notable Chicago buildings designed by Wm. H. Harley include: 1910 W. Logan (built 1907), 3048 W. Palmer (1911), 329 N. Menard (1909), 206 N. Parkside (1909)

Other notable Chicago buildings designed by David Mahaffey include: five in Norwood Park (built 1910-26); 4512 N. Lawndale (1916); 4449 N. Monticello (1913)

Acknowledgments

The volunteers of the RMIA Centennial Research/Tour Committee led by Athene Carras and Jim Peters researched and wrote this tour to share the history and architecture of Ravenswood Manor.

The committee was formed and supported by the Ravenswood Manor Improvement Association, founded in 1914, whose purpose is “to promote the welfare of the community in respect to the maintenance and improvement of the physical appearance of the private and public property; the compliance with the laws as applicable to private and public property; the maintenance of facilities with respect to the safety, health and welfare of its residents.”

Comments are closed.