Located along the north branch of the Chicago River and surrounding the Francisco stop on the CTA Brown line, historic Ravenswood Manor set a standard for high-quality residential development within the City of Chicago. Then known as the Northwestern Elevated Railroad’s Ravenswood Branch, the train was extended to the Francisco stop in 1907 and is the rare grade-level CTA tracks. The Manor was a planned development laid out in 1909 by pioneer real estate developer William E. Harmon. The Manor was an early success in what became the City Beautiful Movement. Built up from primarily Chicago Bungalows and American foursquare houses, the Manor features mature trees, inviting sidewalks, popular parks and relaxing gardens. By April 1910, Ravenswood Manor already had a population of 60.
However, the Manor is more than a collection of historic houses; the people make it a neighborhood. Whether it’s Saturday mornings in Manor Park, lunch at the coffee shop or a block party on a hot summer night, the Manor is a place where neighbors become friends. The RMIA annually sponsors our Winter Social for neighborhood families, the All Neighborhood Garage Sale and the children’s Fourth of July Bicycle Parade. People coming together is what makes a neighborhood a community. We think good parks and tree-lined sidewalks make good neighbors, not just good fences. Ravenswood Manor is where neighbors become friends.